Microblading is a semi-permanent brow tattoo performed with a small handheld tool, using a feather stroke technique to produce hair-like strokes. Microblading is a softer/more subtle cosmetic tattoo that looks more natural than older methods. Cosmetic tattoo procedures involve using pigments that are designed to match your natural eyebrow hair and fade nicely over time. Fading is desired as it allows the artist to make changes to color and shape over the years as client’s natural coloration and facial changes occur.
This procedure can take 2-4 hours. During your appointment I will consult with you the entire time ensuring we are on the same page. Much of the time is spent measuring and drawing on a symmetrical set of brows and agreeing on your perfect shape and color. The actual procedure itself takes about 1 hour. The touch-up appointment will take about 1-2 hours, depending on how your brows healed after the first session.
Microblading is a 2-step process, this means that we recommend a follow up appointment 4-5 weeks after your first session. I do charge a $50 tray fee at the touch up appointment which we can schedule after your first session. The touch up appointment gives us the ability to correct any areas that possibly faded or allows the client to make suggestions if they want adjustments with the shape or color.
The treatment is considered semi-permanent and will fade over time. Touch-ups are recommended every 1-3 years to maintain shape, color, and detail. How often depends on a number of factors including:
- Skin type (oily skin fade faster)
- Pigment color used (lighter colors fade faster)
- Sun exposure (over time can cause fading and discoloration of the pigment)
- Use of daily anti-aging products e.g.- (Tretinoin (Retin-A) & Alpha Hydroxy). These products increase your cell turnover rate and will shorten the life of your cosmetic tattoo
I do my best to ensure the procedure is as comfortable as possible. Before the Microblading begins, a topical anesthetic is applied to the area to minimize discomfort, followed by a liquid anesthetic during the procedure. Some clients may feel a slight discomfort, but it’s relatively pain free for most. It is normal for clients to anticipate more pain than they will actually feel. At the time of the procedure most clients realize it is not as bad as they anticipated.
No. As a precaution to avoid any complications, I do not perform cosmetic tattooing on pregnant women.
Microblading is considered a form of tattooing and in the state of MN you must be 18+ to have this procedure. However, anyone over the age of 18 is able to have this procedure.
If you have an ideal shape and color in mind, bring a few reference photos with you to your appointment.
Please allow your eyebrows to grow naturally for at least 2 weeks prior to appointment as this will help me identify the natural way that your hair grows to match the hair-like strokes.
You must wait at least one year before considering this procedure if you have been on or are currently on the prescription Accutane.
You must stop using Retinol 2 weeks prior to your appointment and avoid using it for the 2 weeks following your appointment.
If you get Botox regularly please get that done no later than 2 weeks before your appointment. This is to ensure we can make your brows as symmetrical as possible.
Avoid chemical peels at least 4 weeks prior to your appointment.
Avoid direct sun exposure and tanning for 2 weeks before and after your procedure. Do not come to your appointment with a sunburn. In this case, email us at least 48 hours prior to your appointment to reschedule.
Avoid alcohol, caffeine, ibuprofen, fish oil, vitamin E, or any blood thinning medication 24 hours prior to your appointment.
If you plan to go on a vacation, it is recommended to plan your trip a minimum of 10 days after the procedure due to the aftercare maintenance
You may fill in your eyebrows as you normally would so we can take into consideration the shape you desire.
Always wash your hands thoroughly before touching the tattooed area or use disposable gloves.
- Day 1 Immediately following the procedure your eyebrows will appear much darker and bolder. Over the healing process your new eyebrows will begin to lighten and shrink slightly in size. You will allow the lymph to drain for 2 hours following the procedure. You will then clean your eyebrows with lukewarm water and after care cleanser, patting dry with paper towel. Then apply thin layer of after care ointment.
-Day 2-10 Keep the tattooed area clean by rinsing with lukewarm water and cleanser, patting dry with a disposable paper towel 3 times a day, then apply thin layer of the after care ointment. Apply a light layer using a disposable cotton swab.
- You may shower or bathe normally, but avoid allowing the water to directly hit your healing eyebrows.
- Do NOT pick or scratch at the dry skin/flakiness; let the skin fall off naturally. Picking can cause scarring and premature loss of pigment. IMPORTANT: Once the flakes have fallen off, a shiny layer of healing skin will completely cover the hair strokes. It will appear as though the eyebrows are gone. Within a few days, the hair strokes will slowly reappear at a lighter shade as your skin regenerates.
- You must avoid working out for 1 week following your appointment. Light exercising is allowed (minimal sweating), but you MUST clean the tattooed area with lukewarm water as soon as you are done exercising. The salt in the sweat will fade the pigment very quickly and give poor results. This may also increase risk of bacteria getting into the open skin leading to infection.
- Avoid direct sun exposure for the first 14 days. You MUST wear a hat while outside during the healing process. Applying sun screen following the 14 days will help prolong the life of your new eyebrow tattoo.
- Do NOT apply make-up to the tattooed area for the first 2 weeks. Chemicals of any kind may interfere with the healing and may increase risk of infection.
- No swimming pools, jacuzzis or other bodies of water for two weeks.
Please schedule consult with our artist for additional questions!